Following is a suggested list of what to bring on your trip to Hawaii including common travel necessities as well as reminders for those often forgettable travel items.

Helpful hint: Check with your airline regarding what you can carry on the plane as new rules and regulations change. Also, check the weather forecast for your destination, as well as local customs for clothing guidelines. Remember, travel experts advise to pack light.

Waikiki is a self-contained metropolis where nearly 70 percent of Oahu visitors reside with the remaining 30 percent being permanent residents and of those permanent residents the majority of local residents are unmarried enjoying the glitz and glamour in this languorous tropical paradise.  The Waikiki lifestyle is not a normal routine. An eclectic and blissful harmony of honeymooners, teenagers, conventioneers, business people, retirees, beach goers, and local residents. Waikiki is a fantasy world – exciting and relaxing, fleeting and eternal.


How to prepare for your Hawaii stay? Assuming you are coming to Hawaii to enjoy the outdoors then this list can assist you in planning what to bring for a safe and enjoyable stay.  All the items on the list can be purchased or rented once you are here but if you have the space in your luggage and want to save some $$ consider packing these items.

  • Waterproof sunblock (SPF 50 or higher – sun is most intense between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm)
  • Two bathing suites
  • Beach towels
  • Flip flops, reef walking shoes, hiking shoes (most restaurants have a lax dress code)
  • Mask, snorkel and fins (can be rented)
  • Hiking attire or clothes that you don’t mind getting muddy
  • Light rain jacket
  • Mosquito repellent for hikes into the wilderness
  • Large insulated water container
  • Shorts and other cool cotton clothing
  • Small pack or backpack
  • Hat or cap for sun protection
  • Toiletries and medications
  • Phone charger

General Packing Tips

  • Pack heavy items, such as shoes and toiletry kits, before the more delicate ones. Place them along the suitcase’s spine to balance weight at the bottom.
  • To reduce wrinkling, turn jackets inside out and fold them in half with tissue paper or dry-cleaning bags. Layering plastic bags or tissue between clothes also helps prevent wrinkles.
  • Hang clothing in the bathroom while showering to steam out wrinkles.
  • Line the bottom of your suitcase with your trousers and let the legs hang over the outside edge of the suitcase. Then pack the rest of your travel gear with the lighter materials on top. Wrap trouser legs over the pile; they’ll keep their crease.
  • Stuff socks and rolled-up belts into shoes to save space.
  • Take along plastic bags for laundry or wet swimsuits.
  • Bring an empty, soft bag for souvenirs.